Archives for 2012

Meeting Agenda 11-29-12

President’s Technology Advisory Council Agenda for November 29, 2012 meeting 12:30-1:30 PM – Simpson Library MakerSpace duPont 310 I. Announcements Update on DoOO and OLI discussions related to President’s funding of those Update on DKC discussions II. Meeting with Regina Carlson about Mellon Mellon précis  What should be included and/or emphasized in the brief? III. Future meetings Meeting in December? IV. Other business? … [Read more...]

Meeting Minutes 11-09-12

PTAC Meeting notes November 9, 2012 President’s Technology Advisory Council Meeting Notes for November 9, 2012 Submitted by Leanna Giancarlo Present:Rosemary Arneson, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw, Jim Groom, Mary Kayler, Kimberly Kinsley, and Jeff McClurken Jeff shared the news that the Digital Studies minor has been approved by the College of Arts and Sciences Curriculum Committee and will move forward to the CAS Faculty Senate.  Hall Cheshire will be sitting in some PTAC meetings in his new role as interim deputy CIO.  Jerry Slezak will continue as a member of this council.  Rick Pearce has updated Jeff that there are 2 candidates from the Registry who will be coming to campus to interview for the interim CIO position. … [Read more...]

Meeting Agenda 11-9-12

1. Announcements a. Digital Studies Minor update 2. Discussion of President’s funding of part of the Digital Learning Proposal a. Domain of One’s Own i.     Discussion of funding and implementation ii.     E-Portfolio section -- Working with Fred Pierce b. OLI i.     How would this play out in terms of funding OLI?  What funds are needed? c. Role of PTAC in the discussion and implementation? d. What happens to other parts of the DLP and how should we proceed with them? i.     Minor/digital pedagogy group, Digital Repository/Archives, ThinkLab/MakerSpace, Digital Knowledge Center 3. Mellon précis             a. What should be included and/or emphasized in the brief?4. Meeting with Regina Carlson – Nov. 29 5. Future meetings a. Friday, Nov. 16, 12-1 pm b. Thursday, Nov. 29, 12:30-1:30 pm 6. Other business? … [Read more...]

Meeting Minutes 10-18-12 & 10-25-12

Submitted by Mara Scanlon  October 18  Present: Rosemary Arneson, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw on speakerphone, Kimberly Kinsley, Jeff McClurken, Mara Scanlon, Jerry Slezak, Jim Groom, Mary Kaylor October 25 Present: Jim Groom, Jerry Slezak, Jeff McClurken, Kimberly Kinsley, Mara Scanlon, George Meadows, Leanna Giancarlo Jeff shared the news that the Digital Studies minor, which was not submitted by PTAC but is aligned with the committee’s goals, has been turned down by the University Curriculum Committee.  Jeff will seek further information. … [Read more...]

Meeting Agenda 10-18-12

I. Announcements a. Update on Jeff’s meeting with Regina Carlson II. Discussion to of Jeff’s Friday DLP meeting with President, Provost, and Development III. CIO at UMW a)  Discuss (and finalize) tasks/goals for interim person b)  Review job description and goals for search for CIO           i. Discuss role of CIO at UMW; qualities important in CIO IV. Future meetings a. Thursday, October 25, 12:30-1:30 PM b. A regular meeting time i. Going forward, Thursdays, every two weeks, at least for this semester? V. Other business? … [Read more...]

Meeting Minutes 10-11-12

President’s Advisory Committee on Technology Meeting Notes for October 11, 2012 Submitted by Mara Scanlon Present: Rosemary Arneson, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw on speakerphone, Kimberly Kinsley, Jeff McClurken, George Meadows, Mara Scanlon Guest: Rick Pearce, UMW Chief Financial Officer The meeting convened with acknowledgement that PTAC will need a new representative from IT because of Justin Webb’s pending resignation.  Rick Pearce suggested that we ask Justin to nominate someone; following the meeting, Jeff conveyed that Justin had suggested that Jerry Slezak join PTAC. Jeff brought the committee up to date on developments from his meeting with the President’s Cabinet to discuss the Digital Learning Initiative.  President Hurley, Provost Ian Newbould, and Torre Meringolo from development hope to pitch a brief version of the DLP for a Mellon Grant.  Jeff will meet with Torre next week, and Torre will join PTAC for a meeting as well to work on abbreviating and framing the … [Read more...]

Meeting Minutes 9-28-12

President’s Technology Advisory Council Meeting Notes: September 28, 2012 Submitted by Leanna Giancarlo Present: Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw, Mary Kayler, Kimberly Kinsley, Jeff McClurken, George Meadows, Tim Owens, Andy Rush, Mara Scanlon, Jeff McClurken updated the council regarding items discussed at our last meeting.  First, in a conversation with Provost Newbould, the Provost stated that the council would not need to undertake responsibilities dealing with the issue of centralized scheduling; he has already formed another group led by Fred Pearce to look into this.  Second, Jeff has spoken with Chief of Staff Marty Wilder about his sense of the Digital Learning Proposal (DLP), since Jeff and some other council members will be presenting to the President’s Cabinet on Tuesday, October 2nd at a special meeting to elaborate upon the DLP.  According to Marty, the President feels that the proposal is important enough for a special meeting and a chance for an extended … [Read more...]

Meeting Minutes 9-14-12

President’s Technology Advisory Council Meeting Notes: September 14, 2012 Submitted by Leanna Giancarlo Present: Rosemary Arneson, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw, Jim Groom, Mary Kayler, Kimberly Kinsley, Jeff McClurken, George Meadows, Mara Scanlon, Justin Webb The Digital Learning Proposal (DLP) has been sent to President Rick Hurley and forwarded to the Cabinet.  The proposal will also be transmitted to the College Deans.  Jeff McClurken has spoken with Richard Finkelstein (CAS Dean) regarding the proposal and its contents; however, the council is waiting on an official response from the President and the Cabinet.  Rosemary Arneson offered that if the proposal comes before Academic Affairs she would alert Jeff so that he could speak to it before that committee. With regards to the prioritization of items in the proposal document, the committee agreed to place the Digital Knowledge Center at an elevated priority since other items or projects included in the DLP are either … [Read more...]

Meeting Agenda 9-14-12

Agenda for September 14, 2012 meeting 12-1 PM – Simpson Library MakerSpace I. Status of Digital Learning Proposal II. Issues raised by DLP and Cabinet Questions      a. Further prioritization of DLP Proposals beyond Digital Knowledge Center, as needed      b. Grants to apply for & grant consultants III. Library and space for DKC (Rosemary) … [Read more...]

Meeting Minutes 8-30-12

President’s Technology Advisory Council Meeting Notes: August 30, 2012 Submitted by Mara Scanlon Present: Rosemary Arneson, Jim Groom, Mary Kayler, Jeff McClurkin, George Meadows, Mara Scanlon, Justin Webb Other members: Steve Greenlaw, Leanna Giancarlo, Kimberly Kinsley President Rick Hurley convened the meeting by pledging his personal and, as possible, financial support for the growth of digital initiatives and the visibility and centrality of such initiatives within the culture of UMW.  He suggested that the newly formed TAC also might give input on resource allocation to both IT and the Libraries, and asked the committee to bring items to him when they had been developed to the level of proposals and to keep the existing budget calendar in mind as they did so. President Hurley did affirm that the Digital Learning Initiative document, which had been developed by a collective of interested faculty and staff and submitted the prior week by Steve Greenlaw, was approaching proposal … [Read more...]