Meeting notes for January 28, 2015

Notes taken by Jerry Slezak Present: Rosemary Arneson, Jeff McClurken, Hall Cheshire, Jerry Slezak, Leanna Giancarlo, Mary Kaylor, Shelley Keith, Zach Whalen, Megan Petter, Ciara Peacock, Jim Groom (chair). Debra Schleef (guest). Notes on Jim’s visit with President Hurley: President thanked Jim for his presentation and recommendation on providing regular funding for Primary Computer replacements. President Hurley said he was aware of the problem. o   The group discussed this issue, and determined that we have presented our advice to the president on this issue. We hope some funding can be moved in this direction in the near future. The PTAC will continue to monitor this issue. Notes on Student Technology Survey Debra Schleef attended this meeting to speak on the progress with the Student Technology Survey: o   Committee got to take a look at the survey – opinions were positive. o   IRB Application is in progress o   Debra asked the PTAC for permission to … [Read more...]

Meeting Notes for September 10, 2014

Submitted by Leanna Giancarlo Present: Rosemary Arneson, Hall Cheshire, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw, Jim Groom (chair), Mary Kayler, Shelley Keith, Jeff McClurken, Ciara Peacock, Jerry Slezak, Zach Whalen Jim Groom started our first meeting of the academic year with introductions of our newest member: Ciara Peacock is the student government representative. George Meadows will continue to represent COE and Megan Petter will be joining the group from Student Services. COB will appoint a new member. Jim reviewed the role of PTAC as an advisory committee, established to advise President Hurley rather than formulate policy. As such, the group will bring ideas and suggestions that are opportunities for targeted investments to the President with regard to technology on campus (like the Domain of One’s Own). PTAC also brings forward issues in our representative areas. Jeff McClurken reminded the group and informed the new members that this advisory committee developed out of the … [Read more...]

Meeting Notes for November 15th, 2013

Download PTAC Meeting Notes 11-15-13 President’s Technology Advisory Council Meeting Notes for Friday, November 15, 2013 2:00-3:00 PM – Simpson Library Think Lab Submitted by Jerry Slezak Present:  Leanna Giancarlo, Jim Groom, Mary Kayler, Shelley Keith, Jeff McClurken (chair), George Meadows, Erik Nosar, Andy Rush, Jerry Slezak, Matt Troutman, Zach Whalen. ANNOUNCEMENTS AND UPDATES: Enterprise Scheduling Task Force – EMS Demo being scheduled – UMW community will be invited to attend ITCC – AV Vendor has been selected and should be announced soon. BRIEF REPORTS (AND DISCUSSION): PTAC IT Project subcommittee The subcommittee had their first meeting to review the IT Projects list. Matt wondered who would be best to run this meeting – an IT representative or a member of the subcommittee – further investigation of this question should continue. Regular meeting is first Wednesday of each month – next meeting of subcommittee is December 4th. The committee … [Read more...]

Meeting Notes for October 11, 2013

President’s Technology Advisory Council 2:00-3:00 PM – Simpson Library Think Lab Submitted by Jerry Slezak Present:  Rosemary Arneson, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw, Jim Groom, Mary Kayler, Kim Kinsley, Jeff McClurken (chair), George Meadows, Erik Nosar, Jerry Slezak, Matt Troutman. ANNOUNCEMENTS AND UPDATES The IT Projects Subcommittee of the PTAC will have their first meeting in early November.  The group is tasked with reviewing the IT Project portfolio and reporting back issues or concerns to the full PTAC.  Initial convener for the subcommittee will be Matt. IT Convergence Center project is moving forward – furniture selection occurred this week – final review of furnishings is in progress.  Discussions  on position descriptions, staffing, services offered and responsible parties for those services are ongoing with the building committee. JMU is hosting its 10th Teaching and Learning with Technology conference on October 21st. Free. Register online … [Read more...]

Meeting Notes for September 13, 2013

President’s Technology Advisory Council 1:30-2:30 PM – Simpson Library Think Lab Submitted by Jerry Slezak Present:  Rosemary Arneson, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw, Jim Groom, Mary Kayler, Shelley Keith, Kim Kinsley, Jeff McClurken (chair), George Meadows, Erik Nosar, Jerry Slezak, Matt Troutman, Zack Whalen. First item of business was to elect a PTAC Secretary for 2013-14.  Jerry Slezak volunteered to cover the fall semester meetings.  We will revisit for a spring secretary in January. ANNOUNCEMENTS AND UPDATES The 2013-14 council members introduced themselves to each other. Digital Knowledge Center/Convergence Center:  Jeff met with President Hurley about the Digital Knowledge Center – the president is supportive of this effort and has asked the Provost, Jonathan Levin to move this forward.  Jeff is creating some more detailed plans to share with Jonathan to give him a better understanding of concept and needs.  The main push now is to understand what role the Digital … [Read more...]

Meeting Notes for March 21, 2013

President’s Technology Advisory Council Submitted by Leanna Giancarlo Present: Rosemary Arneson, Hall Cheshire, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw (via phone), Jim Groom, Mary Kayler, Jeff McClurken, Erik Nosar, Fred Pierce, Matt Troutman, Mara Scanlon Jeff McClurken welcomed Matt Troutman (Housing and Residence Life, OrgSync, and student activities) to PTAC. Jeff will meet with Torre Meringolo and Regina Carlson on March 29th at which time Regina will present her initial recommendations for and plan for the $500,000 grant to Mellon.  She has also identified a list of government grants for us to work on especially in light of digitization and archiving projects.  The hope is that PTAC would look at all of these grant applications in an advisory capacity.  Jeff will also present to Torre’s unit in April about the council. Mary Kayler announced that she and Tim Owens will be going to New Orleans to present on the MakerSpace First Year Seminar experience and will also attend a … [Read more...]

Meeting Notes for February 28, 2013

President’s Technology Advisory Council Meeting Notes for February 28, 2013 Submitted by Leanna Giancarlo  Present: Rosemary Arneson, Hall Cheshire, Leanna Giancarlo, Kimberly Kinsley, Jeff McClurken, Erik Nosar, Fred Pierce, Andy Rush (for Jim Groom), Mara Scanlon, Jerry Slezak Jeff McClurken opened the meeting by welcoming Erik Nosar, our newest member to the council.  Erik will serve for the rest of 2013 and the next academic year.  Matt Troutman, associate director of Residence Life, who is also in charge of OrgSync, will represent student activities. Jeff and Steve Greenlaw met with Ken and Donna from the development office and Torre Meringolo and Regina Carlson with regard to the grant to Mellon.  Torre was initially thinking that we should be submitting a planning grant (this is what Davidson received); however, Regina believes that we are beyond this $50,000 start and should be looking at a $500,000 grant.  Regina is evaluating the short piece from Steve and edited by … [Read more...]

Meeting Notes for February 7, 2013

Submitted by Leanna Giancarlo  Present: Rosemary Arneson, Hall Cheshire, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw, Jim Groom, Kimberly Kinsley, Jeff McClurken, George Meadows, Fred Pierce, Jerry Slezak After welcoming new members to the council (Hall Cheshire, interim CIO, Fred Pierce, Associate Provost for Enrollment Management Services, and Erik Nosar, student representative appointed by SGA and unable to attend today), Jeff announced that the Digital Studies minor has passed the University Curriculum Committee.   President Hurley is pleased with PTAC’s fall progress report.  He would like Jeff to facilitate a meeting with Admissions and University Relations to hear from Jim and Steve about the on-line learning initiative and the Domain of One’s Own.  The President will also be present at this gathering on February 21st from 10 – 11 am.  He is in support of digital initiatives and wants PTAC to have a role like an advisory board in campus-wide IT purchases.  Hall discussed how purchases … [Read more...]

Meeting Minutes 11-09-12

PTAC Meeting notes November 9, 2012 President’s Technology Advisory Council Meeting Notes for November 9, 2012 Submitted by Leanna Giancarlo Present:Rosemary Arneson, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw, Jim Groom, Mary Kayler, Kimberly Kinsley, and Jeff McClurken Jeff shared the news that the Digital Studies minor has been approved by the College of Arts and Sciences Curriculum Committee and will move forward to the CAS Faculty Senate.  Hall Cheshire will be sitting in some PTAC meetings in his new role as interim deputy CIO.  Jerry Slezak will continue as a member of this council.  Rick Pearce has updated Jeff that there are 2 candidates from the Registry who will be coming to campus to interview for the interim CIO position. … [Read more...]

Meeting Minutes 10-18-12 & 10-25-12

Submitted by Mara Scanlon  October 18  Present: Rosemary Arneson, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw on speakerphone, Kimberly Kinsley, Jeff McClurken, Mara Scanlon, Jerry Slezak, Jim Groom, Mary Kaylor October 25 Present: Jim Groom, Jerry Slezak, Jeff McClurken, Kimberly Kinsley, Mara Scanlon, George Meadows, Leanna Giancarlo Jeff shared the news that the Digital Studies minor, which was not submitted by PTAC but is aligned with the committee’s goals, has been turned down by the University Curriculum Committee.  Jeff will seek further information. … [Read more...]