Meeting notes for January 28, 2015

Notes taken by Jerry Slezak Present: Rosemary Arneson, Jeff McClurken, Hall Cheshire, Jerry Slezak, Leanna Giancarlo, Mary Kaylor, Shelley Keith, Zach Whalen, Megan Petter, Ciara Peacock, Jim Groom (chair). Debra Schleef (guest). Notes on Jim’s visit with President Hurley: President thanked Jim for his presentation and recommendation on providing regular funding for Primary Computer replacements. President Hurley said he was aware of the problem. o   The group discussed this issue, and determined that we have presented our advice to the president on this issue. We hope some funding can be moved in this direction in the near future. The PTAC will continue to monitor this issue. Notes on Student Technology Survey Debra Schleef attended this meeting to speak on the progress with the Student Technology Survey: o   Committee got to take a look at the survey – opinions were positive. o   IRB Application is in progress o   Debra asked the PTAC for permission to … [Read more...]

Meeting Notes for September 10, 2014

Submitted by Leanna Giancarlo Present: Rosemary Arneson, Hall Cheshire, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw, Jim Groom (chair), Mary Kayler, Shelley Keith, Jeff McClurken, Ciara Peacock, Jerry Slezak, Zach Whalen Jim Groom started our first meeting of the academic year with introductions of our newest member: Ciara Peacock is the student government representative. George Meadows will continue to represent COE and Megan Petter will be joining the group from Student Services. COB will appoint a new member. Jim reviewed the role of PTAC as an advisory committee, established to advise President Hurley rather than formulate policy. As such, the group will bring ideas and suggestions that are opportunities for targeted investments to the President with regard to technology on campus (like the Domain of One’s Own). PTAC also brings forward issues in our representative areas. Jeff McClurken reminded the group and informed the new members that this advisory committee developed out of the … [Read more...]

Meeting Notes for November 15th, 2013

Download PTAC Meeting Notes 11-15-13 President’s Technology Advisory Council Meeting Notes for Friday, November 15, 2013 2:00-3:00 PM – Simpson Library Think Lab Submitted by Jerry Slezak Present:  Leanna Giancarlo, Jim Groom, Mary Kayler, Shelley Keith, Jeff McClurken (chair), George Meadows, Erik Nosar, Andy Rush, Jerry Slezak, Matt Troutman, Zach Whalen. ANNOUNCEMENTS AND UPDATES: Enterprise Scheduling Task Force – EMS Demo being scheduled – UMW community will be invited to attend ITCC – AV Vendor has been selected and should be announced soon. BRIEF REPORTS (AND DISCUSSION): PTAC IT Project subcommittee The subcommittee had their first meeting to review the IT Projects list. Matt wondered who would be best to run this meeting – an IT representative or a member of the subcommittee – further investigation of this question should continue. Regular meeting is first Wednesday of each month – next meeting of subcommittee is December 4th. The committee … [Read more...]

Agenda for November 15, 2013 Meeting

Download the PTAC Agenda for the 11-15-13 Meeting President’s Technology Advisory Council Agenda for Friday, November 15, 2013 Meeting 2-3 PM – Simpson Library ThinkLab I. Announcements & Updates Scheduling Task Force Others? II. Brief reports (and discussion) PTAC IT Project Subcommittee i.     See attached notes from M. Troutman Survey of student technology usage on campus i.     Update from sub-group led by S. Greenlaw III. Discussion topics Developing a process for opening up PTAC Innovation funds to UMW Community i.     Defining application process, scope, timeline, deadlines, criteria for selection ii.     Subcomittee? Proposal for UMW [Digital] Media Initiative i.     See attached proposal from A. Rush, M. Kayler, and R. Arenson Computer Replacements (if time) i.     What is a reasonable term of replacement? IV.  Future meetings 2-3 PM, Friday, December 13, 2013 V. Other business? … [Read more...]

Meeting Notes for October 11, 2013

President’s Technology Advisory Council 2:00-3:00 PM – Simpson Library Think Lab Submitted by Jerry Slezak Present:  Rosemary Arneson, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw, Jim Groom, Mary Kayler, Kim Kinsley, Jeff McClurken (chair), George Meadows, Erik Nosar, Jerry Slezak, Matt Troutman. ANNOUNCEMENTS AND UPDATES The IT Projects Subcommittee of the PTAC will have their first meeting in early November.  The group is tasked with reviewing the IT Project portfolio and reporting back issues or concerns to the full PTAC.  Initial convener for the subcommittee will be Matt. IT Convergence Center project is moving forward – furniture selection occurred this week – final review of furnishings is in progress.  Discussions  on position descriptions, staffing, services offered and responsible parties for those services are ongoing with the building committee. JMU is hosting its 10th Teaching and Learning with Technology conference on October 21st. Free. Register online … [Read more...]

Agenda for October 11, 2013 Meeting

President’s Technology Advisory Council 2-3 PM – Simpson Library MakerSpace I. Announcements & Updates PTAC IT Project Subcommittee Convergence Center Discussion a. PTAC Innovation Funds (main focus) Opening up process to community? Application process? Deadlines? Criteria for selection? b. Survey of student technology usage on campus (initial conversation) When? How?  Stakeholders in conversation? c. Computer Replacements (initial conversation) What is a reasonable term of replacement? III. Future meetings 2-3 PM, Friday, Nov. 15, and maybe December 13, 2013 IV. Other business? … [Read more...]

Meeting Notes for September 13, 2013

President’s Technology Advisory Council 1:30-2:30 PM – Simpson Library Think Lab Submitted by Jerry Slezak Present:  Rosemary Arneson, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw, Jim Groom, Mary Kayler, Shelley Keith, Kim Kinsley, Jeff McClurken (chair), George Meadows, Erik Nosar, Jerry Slezak, Matt Troutman, Zack Whalen. First item of business was to elect a PTAC Secretary for 2013-14.  Jerry Slezak volunteered to cover the fall semester meetings.  We will revisit for a spring secretary in January. ANNOUNCEMENTS AND UPDATES The 2013-14 council members introduced themselves to each other. Digital Knowledge Center/Convergence Center:  Jeff met with President Hurley about the Digital Knowledge Center – the president is supportive of this effort and has asked the Provost, Jonathan Levin to move this forward.  Jeff is creating some more detailed plans to share with Jonathan to give him a better understanding of concept and needs.  The main push now is to understand what role the Digital … [Read more...]

Agenda for September 13, 2013 Meeting

President’s Technology Advisory Council 1:30-2:30 PM – Simpson Library MakerSpace Volunteer for PTAC Secretary for 2013-2014 Announcements & Updates Introductions – new members Digital Knowledge Center Convergence Center Enterprise Scheduling Task Force Support Re-allocation Task Force report CIO position update Discussion Subcommittee on IT Projects i.     Role of PTAC in Apogee (Residential Network) contract discussions? Topics for this meeting, semester, year – What should we be talking about? i.     PTAC Innovation Funds – Opening up process to community? ii.     Survey of student technology usage on campus (perhaps in conjunction with other units on campus)?  [Ithaka S+R] iii.     Faculty purchases of software using school money (Department, IT, other units) – who approves, who owns, who maintains, who upgrades?  And is there a better system?  (Mary & Jerry) iv.     Computer Replacements (Jerry & many others) v.     Developing policies on … [Read more...]

Meeting Notes for March 21, 2013

President’s Technology Advisory Council Submitted by Leanna Giancarlo Present: Rosemary Arneson, Hall Cheshire, Leanna Giancarlo, Steve Greenlaw (via phone), Jim Groom, Mary Kayler, Jeff McClurken, Erik Nosar, Fred Pierce, Matt Troutman, Mara Scanlon Jeff McClurken welcomed Matt Troutman (Housing and Residence Life, OrgSync, and student activities) to PTAC. Jeff will meet with Torre Meringolo and Regina Carlson on March 29th at which time Regina will present her initial recommendations for and plan for the $500,000 grant to Mellon.  She has also identified a list of government grants for us to work on especially in light of digitization and archiving projects.  The hope is that PTAC would look at all of these grant applications in an advisory capacity.  Jeff will also present to Torre’s unit in April about the council. Mary Kayler announced that she and Tim Owens will be going to New Orleans to present on the MakerSpace First Year Seminar experience and will also attend a … [Read more...]

Agenda for March 21, 2013 Meeting

President’s Technology Advisory Council Agenda for March 21, 2013 Meeting 11 AM-12 PM – Simpson Library MakerSpace Announcements & Updates Welcoming new members (Matthew Troutman) Grant Writing, Regina, and PTAC update Discussion Uses of PTAC funding (~$25,000) i.     Funded: DoOO funding ($5000), ThinkLab Materials request ($4000), Wowza Media Server ($400). ii.     Discussion & vote:  OLI Fellows ($4500), DKC visits (??), MakerSpace Student Aides ($2000) iii.      Value of not spending all the funding this year. Digital Knowledge Center discussions i.     What is it?  What would it look like? Where should it go?  Who should be responsible? Establishing PTAC procedures: i.     Terms of service for faculty/student members?  Terms of service for officers? ii.     The value of small working groups? Future meetings April 16, 11-12 AM Future topics Other business? … [Read more...]