Wednesday, January 30

There are many wonderful events at UMW this month, including the Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration, which featured a thought-provoking and deeply moving address by author Steve Pemberton.  There are also exciting basketball contests in the Anderson Center, as well the start of the 10th season of the Chappell Great Lives Lecture Series programs in Dodd Auditorium.

I am traveling to Florida this week to deliver a presentation at the Association of Governing Boards (AGB) conference.  I also will be speaking at UMW alumni events and meeting with friends of the University throughout Florida.

Next week, I will travel to England to sign an agreement which will allow UMW students to study at Oxford University.  Studying abroad is such an important part of the UMW learning experience and I am pleased that this agreement will expand opportunities for our students. While in England, I also will spend time at the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, visit with Mary Washington alumni in London, and have tea with Lord Alan Watson at the House of Lords.